Tuesday 4 October 2011

Watercooler Tidbits 4th Oct 2011

Continuing from where I left, yesterday; I mean, the writing, not the contemplation. The latter sticks and grows on me now, bound to me, becoming a "hobby" I indulge in. I don't mean analysis. I mean looking and observing the ways in which I behave.



Just to be entertained for some time, I walked to the water-cooler today. Refilling my bottle was the pretext, of course. There was a group of newly joined employees; we like to them "Freshers". The talks bubbled with energy. They discussed about Pune dust and traffic, the evening hang-out and then the appraisal cycles and their managers. Some had a very chirpy way of addressing their "problems" as they call them. While other, chose to literally, drag every word they pronounced and made the issue sound like the most melodramatic epilogues to a Shakespearean poems. To each his own. I respect that. But I kept wondering about the variety of ways we approach a situation. We give so much of importance to a "promotion" or "appraisal" which means, almost nothing, outside the perimeter of the bureau. The sentence, I just formulated, made me laugh, on reading it.



Well, the water-cooler for me, right now is one of the best places to be. I get to see the behaviours that other have, in me. I literally identify myself. Sometimes, judging and other times, criticizing. The former stands like an undying love while the latter is like the joker that makes me laugh.



Today's highlights weren't the Freshers. They were actually, a couple of experience folks, discussing their chances, for an onsite. Well, the onsite, for most of us, is a big door of opportunities which we try to cash every single bit. And, every person has his or her own reasons for an onsite. All well-justified reasons.



The protocol is not to reveal names. So, Guy1 (less experienced), Guy2 ("been there, done that") and Guy3 (“Onsite, not again!”) are my best picks.


Guy1 - "I think I will tell my manager to initiate my visa. I need to travel."

Guy2 - "That's good. You should. I remember my days of struggle."

Guy1 - "Oh! Then you could help me with a few suggestions."


Guy2's accent had not changed. From Hindi, he switched to English. He pulled and stretched every word, rolling the "R"s and using more of "Well, you know..."


Guy2 - "It's all about "selling" yourself."

Guy1 - "What??? How do I..."


Guy2 puts out a "been there, done that" huff and puff.



Guy2 - "Dude! I don't mean that. We are all in a corporate world. We deal with all these big people and we need to make our presence felt. Else they will not consider you. You need to let them know what you have. Tell your manager that my aspirations are ... Use catchy words like "long term plan", "career roadmap", "resource re-vamp", "insurgence of new technology in the market", "client satisfaction", "customer handling" etc." blah blah blah


Guy1 - "Dude, you rock! Boy! I'm so glad I spoke to you."


Accent engraved in every single consonant and vowel this time.


Guy2 - "Sure man! You'll do it. Barge into the cabin confidently and grab what belongs to you."

Guy1 - "How is it at onsite?"

Guy2 - "Boy! It is amazing. We do like real fun things. And I mean, REAL FUN THINGS. I stayed there for like, good 6 months and understood the "client expectations" and got a "good opportunity to polish my managerial skills". It felt after all, I had reached a place, I belonged to."


Guy1 receives a call and excuses himself. Enter, Guy3.


Guy2 - "Hey Guy3, wasssssup man?

Guy3 - "Dude! I think I may have to travel again for a few days. They have a resource crunch out there. Damn it! Hey you wanna give it a shot? Again?"

Guy2 - "Naah! Six months were good for me, with all that work pressure and those ranting folks. May be after a year."


Guy1 returns.


Guy1 - "Hey Guy2, can we continue from where we left?"

Guy2 - "Sure man!"


Sadly for me, I was caught red-handed listening to the interesting conversation, because I foolishly laughed.


I have a few sincere friends, fortunately for me, who have shown the real picture of the coveted onsite. I want it, but I am not sure if I am ready for the entire package. Yet.


And hey, dear Managers, if you are reading this, I am kind of open to all those jargons mentioned above. Really!


TO BE CONTINUED


1 comment:

Abhinav Gupta said...

hahahaaaha....

hahahahaha...

Arpita, picture this.

it's 9PM. A guy is working on his laptop in the office. He seems to be all alone except the cleaning lady who is busy vaccuming.

Suddenly, a thump! Cleaning lady looks up and gets a shock of her life when she finds that guy laughing like a maniac who has just fallen from his seat laughing!

What did he read on his laptop that caused this?

Now you know! :D

hahahahaha...

Managers, please please mere resource ko re-vamp mat karo; kahi woh vampire na bun jaaye! Usko please insaan rehne do!!!

Do I want to "polish" my skills? Then why did I become an engineer? I could have done that at a railway platform also for 15 bucks per shoe! hahaahaha...

Since when did technology become "insurgent" that too in an American accent! I thought insurgents term was reserved for maoists! Did I read wrong newspaper?

And the icing on the cake was when you perfectly brought back the term bureau for office. It IS a bureau; you are right and those things do not matter outside its premises!!!

"You are kinda ready" but I know you will deliever the punch as and when you are given a challenge. You always have!!!

to be continued..... :P [kya karu aadat se majboor hu!!!] :D

c'ya....

waiting for the next one...